The original reservation named Camp Ord
was purchased from the David Jacks corporation in 1917 and was
15,000 acres in size. Named in honor of General Edward Otho Cresap
Ord, a distinguished Civil War General. As a young lieutenant
Edward Ord took charge of the Monterey garrison in 1847. The Monterey
garrison was assigned to oversee the newly annexed California
Mexican and indians in the area. Later Fort
Ord was to expand to 28,500 acres.