Monterey’s Path of History Tour

Colton Hall
Located on Pacific Street. Built by Walter D. Colton circa 1847 a chaplain in the "Congress" of California. In its day Colton Hall was the first building of importance in California. The California constitutional conventions were created in Colton Hall and used to admit California into statehood in 1850.


Old photo of Colton Hall, circa 1800's

Old Monterey Jail (located behind colton Hall)
This building located behind Colton hall was built in 1854 and used as the city jail until 1956.

<< Back | Home | Contact Us | Site Map |
Search This Site