Carmel draws visitors from all over the world and is struggling
to maintain its small town appearance. Carmel in Hebrew translates
to "garden" or garden land". Carmel was named by
the Vizcaino (a Spainsh expedition of 1602) in honor of the fiars
who discovered it, the order of "El Rio de Carmelo". Carmel
became a town when the Mission San Carlos Borromeno also known as
Mission was moved from Monterey to the mouth of
the Carmel Valley. A very small community grew up around the mission.
Carmel's reputation as an "artistic" village began in
1903 when Devendorf Powers a real-estate developer offered to sell
and lease land inexpensively to artists and writers. Numerous shops,
fine restaurants and art galleries line Ocean street and all the
side streets in Carmel-By-The-Sea. The fine white sands of Carmel
beach is a pleasure to stroll along in the mornings.
Map | Search