Landing was named after Captain Charles Moss in 1866. Captain Moss
constructed a 200-foot wharf in Moss Landing to load local grain
for waiting boats. Later Moss sold his holdings to the Pacific Coast
Steamship Company. Today Mosslanding has become the site for a number
of Marine Research facilities. There are restaurants along the harbor.
Moss Landing area includes two state beaches and slough wet lands.